Monday, December 2, 2013

Research Update

My week has been very hectic with work and family, but with the research that I have found, it's been very useful to me. My perspective with my research question has not really changed. My current up to date research question is "How is technology contributing to the obesity epidemic in the United States?" After posting and looking over some comments on it in my group discussion, I'm still in the process of thinking about narrowing my research question even more to the age group of children and adolescence  I'm still doing some research so I believe that the more research I uncover about my topic I will be able to determine if I should narrow it even more with that age group. I've learned a lot about the contributing factors of technology. For example obesity isn't just becoming an issue within the United States, but rather all around the world! Obviously I won;t be talking about that within my paper, but it was interesting to read about it.
I've also decided to use driving as one of the new technologies that are a part of all of this. I didn't necessarily think about cars as a "new technology" but with this people aren't walking, or biking as much as people maybe once used to. I'm not quite sure how I will organize my paper yet. I think I might break up the paragraphs by technologies that are a direct affect on the obesity epidemic. Some examples are television, cell phones, cars, etc.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Aiza! Your topic is really important to people who get obese and some of them are suffering. Some of them have psychological problems, but some of them are physically ill. I think that people who work all day using computer should know a lot of things about ergonomics.
    Ergonomics - The applied science of equipment design, as for the workplace, intended to maximize productivity by reducing operator fatigue and discomfort. Also called biotechnology, human engineering, human factors engineering. (Free Dictionary Online).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally like your topic and think its really interesting. I think that technology is a contributing factor in obesity. I think that the question that you picked is a good and is something that is an issue in our country now a days. I think that obesity is a big issue in america and technology has a big part of the this issue so i think its a good topic to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aiza, I like your idea of trying to incorporate an automobile that contributes to the obesity epidemic. Of course driving to your work, then sitting in the office at white collar jobs, then driving back home in your vehicle isn't putting any effort on your body to exercise it. There is bound to be obesity. But then if you are focusing on cars, then you have narrowed your audience to young adults and pre-teens. Therefore you can eliminate focusing on the child obesity concept. Great topic to discuss by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an interesting topic to write about. It seems like a good idea to narrow your topic down to just kids, because younger people probably use more technology than anyone, but that's another thing you'll have to research to be sure of. Definitely do a bit more research before making the decision to only include young kids in your paper. Also, you may want to also consider other causes of obesity before jumping to conclusions saying that technology is the only factor. I'm not saying that you should mention other causes in your paper, because that would be off topic. But I'm just saying it may be good to make sure you also just research the other causes just to be aware. for example, poverty means no money for healthy foods means poor nutrition means obesity. That's a big cause, especially in children. Just something to consider. But it sounds good so far!

    ReplyDelete