Thursday, October 3, 2013

Doritos Princess Commercial

http://youtu.be/tPtUJHpI3W0

I decided to use the Doritos Chips advertisement with the little girl dressed as a princess used in during the Superbowl this last year. My initial response to the advertisement was laughter. Here was this cute little girl playing dress up in her room with a princess dress, heels, and make-up. She is living a typical dreamer life of a little girl her age. Her dad walks by in the hallway and is heading outside to go play football with "the guys" when his little girl stops him to ask if he will play dress up with her. At first he turns her down until she states that she has Doritos to share with him if he plays with her. I laughed because the fact the he could get Doritos if he played with his daughter persuaded him enough to dress up in girl clothing, make-up and all, willing to look ridiculous for not necessarily his daughter, but for a bag of Doritos. It was even funnier when the rest of the guys came and joined in dress up after they realized they too would get Doritos.
I think this advertisement is trying to sell to the viewer that should and can be willing to do anything for a bag of Doritos. Even the toughest, most macho of men are willing to do the most outrageous in order to get the chips that they want. It also shows the relationship between a father and his daughter. It kind of follows and reinforces the stereo type of "daddy's little girl" in that she can ask him and persuade him to do anything by providing incentive for her dad.
This advertisement is persuasive in that it shows the viewers, specifically males, that nothing is to ridiculous to do if in the end it's for a bag of Doritos. This commercial doesn't make me feel like I need to buy this product, but it does make me like the brand because it's clear how humorous they are. There was an intense crunch sound every time a person took a bite of the chips, this kind of makes me want chips and subconsciously makes me think I hungry even though I might not be. It's appealing to one's sensory of taste and sound.
Overall I also look forward to the Doritos commercials. I can also count of the fact that they will be creative and humorous!

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha. You are right it is a very funny cormecial. I work at Frito_Lay and I remeber we had a meeting before super bowl. They showed us a few ads they wanted to show during super bowl. We were supposed to choose and give our opinions. Most of us chose this one because it was so funny. Just to see how a bag of chip can make you change your mind about something you really wanted to do to something you are not interesting in tells a lot about product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Doritos commercials! They are hilarious! I completely agree with the sound affect. They make me want something salty/crunchy. I really like waiting til after the Super Bowl and watch them on YouTube. Sadly, after a very interesting report in a neurological journal about orange dyes, I will never eat them again. But they are still fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is funny. I like the point you made about the crunching sound appealing to us subconsciously. I had never thought of that, but I'm sure that's just another one of those things marketers cleverly use all the time. I also like the point about the ad appealing to you not because of the product, but because the ad is funny. It's interesting that we tend to be drawn to things just because we find them funny or entertaining and not necessarily for the right reasons.

    ReplyDelete